Welcome!

The predecessor of the University of Miskolc was the school of mining and metallurgy (Bergschule) established by Charles III in Selmecbánya in 1735, which was the world’s first higher education institution giving instruction in these fields (in Freiberg, courses were launched in 1765, in Berlin in 1770, and in St Petersburg in 1773). In 1762, Maria Theresia gave the school academy status (Bergakademie). From 1846, foresters were also trained in the institution. Later, the Selmec school served as a model for the establishment of European technical colleges. In 1794, Paris Technical University organised its laboratory trainings on the basis of the Selmec system. The world’s first international technical society, in which 14 countries were represented, was founded with the contribution of Selmec professors in Szklenó, not far from Selmecbánya. Between 1848 and 1850, instruction was suspended because during the Hungarian war of independence, the students enlisted in Kossuth’s army.