Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Informatics
MODERN AND INNOVATIVE ENGINEERING TRAINING

History


Miskolc and the University

The city of Miskolc lies in the north-eastern part of Hungary where the mountains of the Upper Region become gently rolling hills and give way to the rivers Sajó and Hernád, which connect the Great Plain to the highlands. From the top of the nearly 100-metre-high Avas Hill in the centre of Miskolc, the horizon encompasses the seemingly endless plain to the south, the 2000-metre-high Tátra Mountains to the north, the forest-covered mountain range of the Bükk to the west, and to the east the solid basalt hill of the Tokaj region, which lies regally among its vineyards. Thus Miskolc is situated at the border between the plain and the mountain region. In its one-thousand-year history, it has amalgamated a dozen villages, both ancient and modern, into one of the major provincial cities of Hungary, and of the middle of the Central-Eastern Euro-region. The university established here fosters strong intellectual, academic and cultural links with the city, even though it has its own independent life as a campus.

The graduates of the university are respected not only in the city, but also meet the expectations of national and international employers.

History of the University

In the year 1949 the Hungarian Parliament ordered, in its 23rd Act, that a university of heavy industry should be established in Miskolc in order to improve higher education in the fields of technology and engineering in the country.

Owing to the faculties of mining and metallurgy, the new technical university, which was set up in the centre of the Borsod industrial region, goes back to a past of 250 years. The predecessors of the two faculties were operating in Selmecbánya until 1919 and then, until 1949, in Sopron. Between 1949 and 1959 the department of the Faculty of Metallurgical Engineering and the Faculty of Mining Engineering gradually moved to Miskolc.

In 1735 the Court Chamber of Vienna founded a school of mining and metallurgy in order to train specialists according to the requirements of the industrial revolution, and to upgrade precious metal and copper mining in Hungary (which was playing an important role in European relations).

In the Hapsburg Empire the school of Selmecbánya was the first school founded by the state and operating under non-ecclesiastical control. At the same time it represented the first institution of higher education in the field oftechnology in the world.

After the 1867 compromise between Austria and Hungary the academy became a Hungarian state institution under the name of the Royal Hungarian Academy of Mining and Forestry. After Selmecbánya became a part of the new state of Czechoslovakia, the college moved to Sopron in 1919, where in 1922 it was renamed to the College of Mining and Forest Engineering. In 1934 the College joined the newly organized Palatine Joseph University of Engineering and Economics as its Faculty of Mining, Metallurgical and Forest Engineering.

The section of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering worked in this organisational framework until 1949 when it became the Faculty of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering of the University of Heavy Industry, established in the same year in Miskolc, which also had a newly established faculty - that of Mechanical Engineering. In February 1950 the present location of the university expanded, when it incorporated the Dunaújváros College Faculty of Metallurgical Engineering and Metalworking.

Since 1981 lawyers, and since 1987 economists have also been educated in Miskolc. Since 1992 arts subjects have also been taught in our institution which took the new name of the University of Miskolc in 1990.

Our most important objective is to create a university unique in the country. For this reason since 1997 music education has been offered at the Bartók Béla Institute of Music of the University of Miskolc. Health education started in the same year, too. On 1 January 2000 the Dunaújváros College became independent, while the Comenius Teacher Training College of Sárospatak joined the organisational framework of the university.



Date of the last modification: 17 December, 2009